Saturday 8 October 2011

Axis and Allies - Part two - ZE GERMANS

So, the continuing story of the painting of Axis and Allies Anniversary edition.

I started with Ze Germans when i kicked off this project, and well, im not that happy with the results of some of the models.
The Infantry look fine, and i'm quite proud of the aircraft, but I really wish id taken the time to do the flags on the German capital ships. It would have been a nice touch, but by the time i'd finished painting them all I couldn't bring myself to go back to the beginning and make tweaks. I later based the infantry with some standard flock as well.  
The primary colours used in this set are  

  • Citadel Codex Grey (German national colour and side of ships, base colour for aircraft)
  • Vallejo German Field Grey 830 (Uniform and armour)
  • Vallejo luftwaffe cam green 823 (Aircraft camo)
  • Vallejo Camo Biege 821 (ship decks)

If you plan on doing World War II era pain jobs might I suggest checking out flames of war and their paint range from Vallejo


One thing to note on these guys is that I didn't use a single transfer. Just a lot of patience. I found the key to doing good German symbols was to paint a solid white cross first and then do two sharp lines in black. Painting over the top in black is much easier than trying to border it in white.


I'll be looking at the Russians next, a force where some people said "WHY THE HECK DID YOU EVEN BOTHER TO PAINT THE SHIPS"

The answer to that question, and many more next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...